Shaw Blackmon serves Houston County, Georgia with simple, smart and effective leadership.
He is a fiscally conservative Republican who understands the need to protect our freedoms, grow our small businesses, and support our military community. As Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, he is uniquely positioned to influence all taxation, tariffs, and other revenue-raising measures in the state. In this role he is also serves as a chief budget writers. Shaw is committed to the ideals of limited government, family values and personal responsibility and is working tirelessly to build a better future for all Georgians.
The House of Representatives has gotten off to a busy and productive start since convening January 8 for the 2024 legislative session.
As the start of the 2024 legislative session rapidly approaches on January 8, we wanted to take a moment to provide a preview of key priorities the Georgia General Assembly will take up over the next 40 days.
Rep. Shaw Blackmon reflects on the blessings of the Houston County community this Thanksgiving.
Rep. Shaw Blackmon reviews how the Georgia legislature is combating record high inflation by returning billions in taxes to hardworking Georgians, including:
- Continued gas tax exemptions, totalling more than $1.5 billion to date
- Nearly $1 billion in property tax relief
- More than $2 billion in one-time tax rebates
- Historic rainy day fund reserves, which protect our state from economic downturns and help maintain our critically-important AAA bond rating
- Fully funding k-12 education for all public schools statewide
- Restoring HOPE scholarship to 100 percent
Read more about these efforts here.
A detailed look at recent legislative investments in k-12 education, along with updates on Rep. Blackmon's Tax Credit Study Committee and more.